Friday, July 23, 2010

Hope

Well, sometimes there is hope. Hope in the form of just one meeting.

After my last post, which was somewhat sorrowful (sorry!), I put my foot down and hubby & I had a non-fight. I say "non-fight" because I was doing all the fighting. I had so many fighting words built up that I had to let it all out. He didn't really fight back. And, amazingly, he listened. Not to every word, because I was spewing, but he got the gist.

After I had let it all out, he said, "So that would satisfy you? If I went to a meeting? Print out a schedule. I'll go."

Really?

So I gave him a couple dozen options in our area. And it took about a week. But he went. Today. And he talked about it when he got home. It sounds like it was a positive experience. He found people at all different stages of sobriety. And they sound very accepting and encouraging. He says he'll go back. Tomorrow. *little happy dance*

Part of his resistance over the last month had been that someone told him he had to be sober 48 hours to go to a meeting. That wasn't happening. I looked it up & aa says that you only need the "desire to be sober". Once we cleared that up (in our non-fight), the path was clear to going. The other people at the meeting were understanding that he wasn't sober yet. They accepted this and encouraged him to keep coming. That one day he would get there.

So today, I am hopeful. Hopeful that there is life beyond alcoholism. It will be a long journey, but he has taken that first step. A step that he had feared and dreaded, but he took it. I am proud of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment